June 24, 2008

Emile Norman documentary

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 Posted by Ryan , , 1 comment

I happened to catch this on PBS last night and couldn't turn it off to go to bed when I should have: Emile Norman: by his own design. You won't find much on the internet about his work beside his own website but at 90 he is still a working artist. Besides a profile of his life as an artist, the documentary is an illustration of the life he created for himself. I was stunned by his house in Big Sur, which he and his partner started building over 50 years ago. The house is a gallery of his art, and every surface has been crafted, even the harpsichord and organ cases.

Watch this documentary if you have a chance. The next time I go to San Fransisco, I'm going to take a trip to the Masonic Temple to see the huge glass mosaic commissioned in 1955.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Alright, so I've been lurking on your blog but wasn't really sure when or if I should comment. I'm glad that your blogging and I love the photos, I kinda have a thing for photos. :)